[OpenLayers-Dev] GML format - unsupported geometry type: box

Eric Lemoine eric.lemoine at camptocamp.com
Tue Jul 28 14:35:40 EDT 2009

On Monday, July 27, 2009, Paul Dziemiela <paul at dziemiela.com> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I've been reading this thread with a bit of interest.  From what I read
> gml:Box was deprecated with GML 3 so does this discussion only apply to GML
> 2 parsers or does this discussion extend over into the gml:envelope that
> replaces gml:box?
>
> From my reading of the specs, the GML 2 Box element was positioned as a
> "primitive geometry type" on the same level as a polygon or point.  However
> the GML 3 Envelope element is not - it's an attribute of a primitive
> geometry.  I don't think you can map your rectangular backyard as a
> gml:envelope and pass it around by itself.  But I think you could do that
> with gml:box.
>
> So I think you are all debating whether or not a two-point box is a
> legitimate geometry or if not is instead only an attribute of a legitimate
> geometry.  It looks like the GML folks went down this road and decided on
> the latter.
>
> Cheers,
> Paul

Thanks for these informative comments Paul. I really need to open the
specs, which I will.

François' initial questions related to Format.GML (the format used
internally by the GetFeatureInfo format). This format doesn't target a
specific GML version, so I'm wondering what we should do with it. I
initially thought this parser was being deprecated by the new
versioned GML parser, but I'm confused now that the GetFeatureInfo is
based on it.

Could anyone involved with the GML and GFI formats comment on that?

Thanks