[OpenLayers-Dev] KML Overlay Layer

rlauber rlauber at avencia.com
Wed Jul 29 12:57:21 EDT 2009

Hello All,

We would like to add support for KML raster image overlays, and I wanted to
ask about the best way to go about this.

The first step would be to add XML parsing for Overlay objects to
OpenLayers.Format.KML.  That seems pretty straightforward.  At that point a
developer could just run the formatter, get the overlays and add Image
layers.  However, it would be nice if there were a single class that could
handle an entire KML document.

My question is about how to structure such a class.  Should a new KML layer
class be created that can handle both vector features and rasters?  Is there
a precedent for a layer that would in turn create multiple layers itself?
Would it make more sense to add a raster-only KML layer and let an existing
vector layer (GML) use the KML formatter for vectors - thus a developer
would make two separate layers with the same kml.

Is there another, better way to handle this?

Thanks.