[OpenLayers-Dev] csw format

Matt Priour mpriour at kestrelcomputer.com
Thu Jun 4 13:14:58 EDT 2009

> Message: 4
> Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2009 07:55:18 -0400
> From: Christopher Schmidt <crschmidt at metacarta.com>
> Subject: Re: [OpenLayers-Dev] csw format
> To: Tim Schaub <tschaub at opengeo.org>
> Cc: dev at openlayers.org
>
> On Wed, Jun 03, 2009 at 05:01:51PM -0600, Tim Schaub wrote:
>> At some point, it seems like we should discuss hosting a lite (but
>> fairly functional build) so people wouldn't complain about OL continuing
>> to get bigger with every release.
>
> I think the real answer is we shouldn't make using a full build of
> OpenLayers the recommended path, and instead encourage everyone to build
> a custom build profile.
>
> Regards,
> --
> Christopher Schmidt
> MetaCarta

I think one path that OpenLayers could take in 3.0 is to implement lazy,
on-demand loading of the library components like YUI. Also like YUI, it
could be hosted on Google's CDN and have several "pre-built" modules so that
neither the entire library is downloaded nor each specific file unless need
be.
Just a possible idea for the future.

Matt Priour