[OpenLayers-Dev] Available ressources for participating in development of open layers

Tim Schaub tschaub at opengeo.org
Wed Mar 25 15:58:14 EDT 2009

Hey-

Christian Seewald wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Our company has decided to spend some resources on open source
> development in open layers eg. by porting some of our additions in our
> own app to the open layers framework main development.

This sounds great!

> The app has been in production for several months by now
> (http://www.pegelonline.wsv.de/gast/karte/standard) and we have
> developed some additions to the open layers core. The main features
> which extend or add to open layers functionality are the following:

Looks nice.  I'm not a user of markers or popups, but it looks like you
have done some good work with them.

> -          popups which both react to mouseover- and mouseclick-events

I like how this works.

> -          a feature for selecting markers (click on the ‘Auswählen’ -
> button (English select) at the popups) and acting upon the selection
>
> -          a new theme for the open layers controls

It would be great to have some alternative themes.  If the whole thing
could be packaged up an set next to the theme/default, I think it would
make a good addition (seems like we could host some additional themes
somewhere).

> -          a filtering and selection mechanism for a list of markers
> (open up the second + from the top at the right side)
>
> -          another filtering mechanism which hides markers based on a
> combination of marker attributes
> (http://www.pegelonline.wsv.de/archiv/karte/standard), as the public
> version of this map displays only to measuring stations, the filter is
> not really useful, but you get the idea.
>
> -          The data for each marker is based on ascii-data
> (http://www.pegelonline.wsv.de/internal/karte/openlayers/pegelinfo)
> which contains a lot of site specific additional data fields, besides
> the default data attributes provided by the OpenLayers.Format.Text and
> OpenLayers.Layer.Text classes. Maybe some abstracted version of adding
> custom attributes could be developed

Have you considered a format like KML?  Perhaps interoperability is not
a concern, but it would be cool to be able to at least show people your
stuff on Google Earth/Maps (would need to be in Geographic/WGS84).

> -          The size of the markers depends on the zoom level

This can be accomplished with rule based styling if you are able to use
vector features instead of markers.  I'm a bit biased, but I'd suggest
trying to move toward using a vector layer over a marker layer in terms
of future support & features.

> We would offer to refine some of these features, and work on further
> abstraction and modularization in our ol svn sandbox.

It would be nice to see some of these things wrapped up as patches on
tickets.

In addition, there are a good number of tickets awaiting patches.  If
you are able to dedicate some resources toward fixing issues that
already exist, it is a good way to establish a relationship with other
developers and eventually will aid in getting your other contributions
incorporated.

> What we need is some guidance on what would be most useful and in what
> way, so we can prioritize our efforts in those directions.

If you haven't already, please read through the following page and the
pages it links to:

http://trac.openlayers.org/wiki/HowToContribute

If we don't have a CLA from you or your company (first glance didn't
make me think so), it would be good to get a signed contributor license
agreement.  The process is described on the page above.

After reading up on creating patches and filing tickets, I'd recommend
taking a look at some of the existing tickets.  We're working toward a
2.8 release.  Outstanding tickets can be found here:

http://trac.openlayers.org/wiki/Release/2.8

Looking at the patches on existing tickets marked for Review will give
you a sense for what needs to be done.

Thanks for your contributions!

Tim

> If there are other more pressing issues we could also approach them.
>

> Regards, Christian

Tim Schaub
OpenGeo - http://opengeo.org