[OpenLayers-Dev] Transition From Google's API to OL

Arnie Shore ashore3 at verizon.net
Fri Mar 27 16:16:50 EDT 2009

Folks, hello, and I wonder if anyone can share experiences doing such a
transition.  (I've tried this question with the users group but with no

Background:  I've written a free, Open Source application targeted to
the public safety community, notably ham radio groups who kick into gear
during emergency/crisis conditions.  It relies on their mapping API,
currently.

But under emergency conditions that comprise the reasons for this
community's existence, internet connectivity to Google  may not exist of
course.  Accordingly, I'm planning a version of the app in which the
tile sets and API are resident at a local server.  Hence my strong
interest in OL.

I can't imagine I'm the only one here doing anything like that, so I'll
appreciate hearing re experiences doing this, plus, especially, thoughts
on the tile sets available.  Thanks, all.

Arnold Shore
Annapolis, MD