[OpenLayers-Dev] PHP Backend to OL

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Sun Mar 29 13:21:47 EDT 2009

Arnie Shore wrote:
> Folks, still stumbling around somewhat.  I wonder if there's been any
> work already done re subject matter?
>
> I've already looked at PHP/MapScript, the article at
> http://mapserver.org/mapscript/php/by_example.html#php-mapscript-code
> which does provide useful hints.
>
> Say I have a source of tiles, and wd like to store/retrieve these in a
> manner that meets OL's conventions/requirements.  Given the target
> application's operation, mapping requirements are rather lightweight,
> probably consisting of little more than given  coordinates and zoom,
> responding with the requested tiles.
>
> Thanks for any information,

Arnie,

KaMap OSM tiles and TileCache all have an algorithm for how tiles are
named and requested. Basically tiles are requested by converting the
positional information for the viewport into a sequence of tiles that
will fill the viewport. These tiles are then requested and each request
is then mapped to physical files in their respective tile caches.

I'm not sure what you are trying to do. If you install TileCache then it
will handle all this for you and it can be installed on your local machine.

Why do you think you need to do something with php-mapscript?

-Steve