[OpenLayers-Dev] OpenLayers on FGS installation

Alex G unseen.wizard at gmail.com
Mon Oct 5 11:10:43 EDT 2009

Hi all,

I am new to GIS (a total noob) and I just recently installed FGS on my linux
dev machine. I am in the steps of creating a new application - I have loaded
my own shapefiles and everything seems to be working fine.

Now I need to add functionality to be able to draw points and lines and
saving that data to a database for later use (probably load them on the map
later). I think OpenLayers is the best solution for me but I am having
trouble setting it up, so I am asking if someone knows of any guides or
could help me with a few simple instructions to integrate OpenLayers into my
FGS PHP page (if this is what needs to be done).

I am guessing it's not as simple as loading the JS on the page. The example
on the OL site seems to be loading from a mapserver URL? My installation can
be accessed (internally) by using the URL http://mapserver:8080/ so I guess

I am a little (a lot actually) lost here so any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Alex