[OpenLayers-Dev] maintenance releases

Tim Schaub tschaub at opengeo.org
Tue Sep 15 15:00:12 EDT 2009

Hey-

We periodically discuss releasing on a fixed schedule.  Though a few
releases have come close to sticking to a schedule, my impression is
that it has been a tough to pull off.  It is also my impression that the
release process feels onerous enough to enough people that we are
collectively avoiding it.

I'm interested in discussing doing more "maintenance" releases between
minor releases.  What exactly would change about the release process [1]
I'm not sure, but the goal would be to make it less work overall.

While this might seem extreme, I'm curious what people would think about
kicking out maintenance releases *without* going through the release
candidate cycle.  Taking this further, a maintenance release manager
could decide to stick to a schedule and release even if there were known
regressions.

While the result may be something of questionable value, I do think it
would bring some benefits.  My impression is that there are a lot of
people running applications off the trunk currently.  I also imagine a
fair number are running "sandbox" functionality or their own patched
versions.  Having more frequent releases would not be that much
different than pegging applications to a specific version of the trunk.
  I think all would agree this is safer than having an application run
off the head revision.

This would also have the benefit for contributors of more quickly seeing
their contribution in an official release - potentially encouraging more
contributions.

Obviously there would be details to work out about the process, but I
would suggest a pared down version of the major/minor release process -
with leeway for the maintenance release manager to decide on some
specifics (e.g. if all tests pass on this date, bump tickets, release,
and make notes about known issues).

Thoughts?
Tim

[1] http://trac.openlayers.org/wiki/Release/Procedure