[OpenLayers-Dev] GitHub straw poll

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Fri Apr 16 19:45:32 EDT 2010

  Would people be in favor of or opposed to moving the OpenLayers
  repository to GitHub?

(I haven't been useful, so take this with a huge grain of salt.)

This seems to combine two questions:

  should OpenLayers switch to git from svn

  should the repo be hosted someplace else, rather than where the svn
  repo is hosted, and if so where

On the git/svn question, I've long been a traditionalist and asked "how
much pain do you have from using svn".  I've recently started using git,
including at work where I have a complicated (unrelated to OL) scenario
where a DVCS matters.  Since then, I've become more git-positive.

Christopher's points about community and forking are thoughtful and
valid.  I spoke recently with Scott Chacon of github and pointed out
that their use of the word "fork" blurred the concepts of having a
workspace to use to contribute back and a traditional fork.  He agreed,
but neither of us could come up with a good word.  So if using git is
about non-committers publishing a repository to make it easier for
others to test and for the committers to integrate changes, I think it's
good, and if it leads to permanent divergence it's bad.  Seeing multiple
projects, I think this will be mostly about how lively the project is
about taking contributions.

For hosting, I concur with Christopher's points about osgeo being a more
appropriate home.  github seems more like a place to put a project that
doesn't have a cultural home (with resources).