[OpenLayers-Dev] GitHub straw poll

Tim Schaub tschaub at opengeo.org
Tue Apr 20 01:14:35 EDT 2010

Paul Spencer wrote:
> Tim,
>
> I don't have a strong opinion on this, it seems like it may be
> somewhat disruptive to move to a new system and it is not clear to me
> that there is a huge gain from this.  What is your motivation for
> proposing this?  Is it because DCVS is technically superior or will
> eliminate some bottleneck in our current system?  In all the replies
> so far, I haven't seen you respond with your motivation.

My motivation for taking a poll was to get a sense from the developer
community (those active and interested in becoming more active) on
opinions about using git - and in particular GitHub.

I didn't start with my opinions because it was intended to be a poll and
not a pitch.  There are still a number of people who I think it would be
good to hear from - but I also know that long threads wander and get boring.

Since you (and Schuyler) asked a direct question, here's a partial
response: I think GitHub does a great job of lowering the bar to
"participation" in a project.  For example, you can submit a patch
(essentially) on GitHub without leaving your browser [1].  I imagine
that could be particularly handy for documentation & example patches.

Regarding Schuyler's boat rocking, I doubt anyone would argue that given
a long enough history, OpenLayers will move from subversion.  There is
obviously a lot of room between boat rocking and clinging to helplessly
deprecated software - and I grant that the poll implies an interest in a
bit of boat rocking.  But as I mentioned, it was just a poll, and I
wouldn't push for anything that there is real opposition to.

Tim

[1] Example directions from jQuery UI about submitting a patch:
http://forum.jquery.com/topic/howto-submit-a-patch-to-jquery-ui-using-the-github-web-interface

Compare to http://trac.openlayers.org/wiki/HowToContribute

Note that I don't really think this alone would do great things for the
project - we're not suffering from a lack of trivial patches.  I just
think it is a cool feature.

--
Tim Schaub
OpenGeo - http://opengeo.org