[OpenLayers-Dev] XMLHttpRequest.js license

Mark Williams mark_ol at myosotissp.com
Wed Apr 21 10:08:02 EDT 2010

On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 6:23 AM,  <christopher.schmidt at nokia.com> wrote:
> You presumably looked at 4.d. and decided that OpenLayers fell under 4.d.1? With the way we use this library, it's pretty clear to me that we fall under 4.d.0:
>
> "0) Convey the Minimal Corresponding Source under the terms of this License, and the Corresponding Application Code in a form suitable for, and under terms that permit, the user to recombine or relink the Application with a modified version of the Linked Version to produce a modified Combined Work, in the manner specified by section 6 of the GNU GPL for conveying Corresponding Source."
>
> (We do not use an 'appropriate shared library mechanism for linking with the library' -- we build it into our app. If we did require that users linked to an external site via <script> tag, we might be safer there.)

But you /do/ provide the full source of XMLHttpRequest.js, together
with a means of recombining it with your application (you provide the
full source, and a build mechanism for openlayers). Anyone could
substitute their own modified (or later version) of XMLHttpRequest.js,
and create a modified OpenLayers based on that.

So what exactly is the issue?

Mark