[OpenLayers-Dev] GitHub straw poll

Bouiaw bouiaw at gmail.com
Thu Apr 22 10:09:45 EDT 2010

Just a quick advise since we (OpenScales developers) have tested a lot
3 alternatives : Git, Mercurial or SVN : please test 3 solutions,
don't make your choice based on other people feedbacks only !

Before testing both DVCS tools in detail, I was clearly in favor of
Git. Github is widely used and sexy, big projects like Eclipse are
moving on it, I was sure that this should be the right choice for us.

Since we have Mercurial pushers, we decided to test both solutions
with same developers on a sample project. At the beginning, it was
difficult to admit but Mercurial was clearly the winner.

Reasons for our choice :
 - Simplicity
 - Subversion users learning curve
 - Windows support
 - Eclipse integration quality (hgEclipse)
 - HTTP proxy compliance for push

We also use used last release of SVN (1.6.9) but Git/Mercurial are a
magnitude of order better.

Regards,
Bouiaw