[OpenLayers-Dev] Patrch for getting vector drawing working over the 180 line going.

Phil Scadden p.scadden at gns.cri.nz
Wed Aug 18 17:25:32 EDT 2010

> Please don't try to bake in any assumptions about heading in a line
> segment.  Our geometry model is based on coordinates on a plane.  My
> opinion is that "crossing the dateline" is application logic.

So when I try to draw say a zoom rectangle across the date line, or
measure a distance between two points which happen to be on opposite
sides of the dateline, how do I put that logic in my application to cope
with this without altering OL? Or draw a selection polygon to choose
some data in a WFS layer? This is where problems occurs. The reason for
looking at the renderer approach is that there remain problems with just
doing it in the handlers. Obviously its pointless for me to continue
work on renderer model if it wont be accepted into OL, so I'll the study
the remaining issues with the handlers in Andreas's patch today. But I
dont believe there is a solution to the problem without altering OL.

> Geometries should be split when the user tries to draw beyond the domain
> of the coordinate system.

Well to be honest I am sick to death of geometry models based on a plane
when we live on a spherical earth, and its especially a pain when you
live close to the 180 lines and  nightmare if you are working near the
pole. I would really like to see OL get onto a sphere. There is dearth
of tools for working on a sphere. Our inhouse software always manages it
because its taken into account from day 1 but reengineering flat earth
software to work with real world geometry is a mega pain. Would you be
so keen on applications having to split geometry if you lived on the 180
line?
--
Phil Scadden, Senior Scientist GNS Science Ltd 764 Cumberland St,
Private Bag 1930, Dunedin, New Zealand Ph +64 3 4799663, fax +64 3 477 5232