[OpenLayers-Dev] Closure Compiler for OpenLayers 3.x

Klokan Petr Přidal klokan at klokan.cz
Fri Dec 3 04:08:45 EST 2010

Hello Peter,

I have seen your ticket. OpenLayers 2.x can be compiled only with
SIMPLE OPTIMIZATION. Then the Closure Compiler is just another
minimizer, slightly better then JSMIN. No big deal, beside 20% smaller
file size for existing build process. ;-)

What I am suggesting with the blog post is to write the code of
OpenLayers 3.x in a way to allow ADVANCED_OPTIMIZATION of of the code.

This would bring:

- Much better code optimization - resulting in even smaller file size.
- Documentation with JSDoc Tags is validated and meaningful - code is
under better control
- Possibility to strip all unused parts of the OpenLayers library when
it is compiled together with the final application. No need to choose
in advance what functionality I want in the building profiles.
Dependencies are solved by the compiler automatically.
- Possibility to compile OpenLayers only for particular use - Mobile
WebKit browser, Quirks vs Standards mode, etc.
- Debugging with FireBug even for the compiled version of the source code.
- Generation of dynamically loadable modules, to speed up loading of
the library.

Details are in the blog post, including tips on how to do that - based
on our practical experience with Google Closure Compiler from another
projects. I can write also examples to demonstrate the described
features.

The question for community is mostly:

- Are we willing to follow the JavaScript Style Guide, which is
necessary for the advanced compilation: http://bit.ly/9lETMA
- Do we want to write the correct JSDoc tags according to: http://bit.ly/3UNSlI

These are the decisions for OpenLayers 3.0, which should be done
before the one week active coding session is going to happen. BTW I am
keen to participate if it's going to be in Europe.

Regards,

Klokan Petr Pridal

http://blog.klokantech.com/
http://www.mapranksearch.com/