[OpenLayers-Dev] central repo for v3

Tim Schaub tschaub at opengeo.org
Thu Jul 1 14:57:24 EDT 2010

On 7/1/10 11:11 AM, christopher.schmidt at nokia.com wrote:

> On Jul 1, 2010, at 11:54 AM, ext Schuyler Erle wrote:
>
>> To be totally honest, I loathe the github issue tracker, whereas I
>> feel that Trac has treated us pretty darn well so far in that
>> regard.

100% agreed.  More below.

>> We can set up some kind of Git commit hook that automatically
>> clones the Git repo when new code is checked in, and then checks
>> that into the SVN repo behind Trac, so that the code browser stays
>> up to date.
>
> I don't think this is necessary. We can have trac tickets without the
> code under discussion being in the trac browser.
>
>> As for pull requests, I don't see a reason not to use the github
>> tracker for that alone, but shouldn't emails go to the dev list?
>
> Probably.
>
>> Or should we create a separate mailing list for that?
>
> Probably not.

Pull requests can only be responded to by people who can push to the
central repository.  This is strictly a different set of people than
those that subscribe to the dev list.

The list I'm imagining also can be used to send collaborators (GitHub's
term) the central repository account password when it needs resetting.
Also not appropriate for the dev list in my mind.

Currently, when people issue pull requests through the GitHub interface,
they can choose the collaborators that should receive the request.  I
can also see sense in having a single distribution list for all
collaborators (again, these people would ultimately have control over
the central repository).

Please clarify your thinking if you really think this should be the dev
list.  I'm all for open communication.  And if everybody on the dev list
wants a copy of every pull request, I imagine we can set that up.

Tim

--
Tim Schaub
OpenGeo - http://opengeo.org