[OpenLayers-Dev] github attempts

christopher.schmidt at nokia.com christopher.schmidt at nokia.com
Mon Jul 5 00:38:52 EDT 2010

On Jul 4, 2010, at 6:45 PM, ext Tim Schaub wrote:

> On 7/4/10 8:33 AM, christopher.schmidt at nokia.com wrote:
>>
>> On Jul 4, 2010, at 10:28 AM, ext christopher.schmidt at nokia.com wrote:
>>
>>> Yo,
>>>
>>> So, in testing github out, I:
>>> 1. Forked openlayers/openlayers. (I did this a week ago)
>>> 1a. Since my fork was out of date, I did:
>>>        git pull git at github.com:openlayers/openlayers.git master
>>>        git push
>>>    To update my fork.
>>> 2. Made some changes in my fork, and pushed them
>>
>> Though I now see that fredj had already made the same changes. Curses!
>>
>> fredj, I think you need to be pushing to the master repo more often :)
>> I assume you have access; is there a reason to be way out on a branch
>> like you are?
>>

> As far as I can tell, fredj has been using the online fork queue tool to
> cherry pick commits from his fork, replaying these on the central repo.

The WMS Untiled commits --

  http://github.com/fredj/openlayers/commit/66904e7346fe76f7b13ccf3763ad84ad73d3082b

appear to not be in the main openlayers/openlayer repo, unless
I'm missing something. Does that seem accurate? (This is the change
that I'm pretty sure I duplicated.)

>  The result is that we have identical commits in the central repo and
> fredj's repo, but they don't have the same SHA.  I think the same was
> happening between cedric's fork and fredj's.  This is not that big a
> deal, except that it makes the forks look artificially divergent - and
> the central repository's history will look weird when we get things
> properly merged.  Not that big a deal, things will get smoother as we
> all get handier with git.
>
> Chris, I think what you did looks good.  A couple things that you might
> want to consider (depending on what makes sense to you).
>
>     git remote add central git at github.com:openlayers/openlayers.git
>
> If you run this in your repo, you can start using "central" to refer to
> the central repo.  Then pulling recent changes from the central repo
> would look like this:
>
>     git pull central master

Nothing really special here except that central is a fancy name for
git at github.com:openlayers/openlayers.git, right?

> This pull implicitly does a fetch and merge.  If you're pulling from a
> somewhat untrustworthy remote, it probably makes sense to `git fetch`
> and `git merge` independently.

Gotcha. I mostly just 'pull' and hope git does magic :) Maybe someday
this will bite me; for now, it seems to be doing the right things.

> After you do this, you can poke around your .git directory to see how
> things are configured (see .git/config for your named remote repositories).
>
>     cat .git/refs/remotes/central/master
>
> That's the SHA of the latest commit you have from the master branch in
> the central repo.
>
>     git show central/master
>
> That's git's view of the latest commit you have from the master branch
> in the central repo.  (And `git log central/master` for the full log.)

Ah, so other tools get more if you actually set up a remote. Gotcha.
I'll keep that in mind.

-- Chris

> Tim
>
>> -- Chris