[OpenLayers-Dev] WKT and GeometryCollection

strk strk at keybit.net
Thu Jul 15 06:55:03 EDT 2010

Hi guys,
this mail to try at getting somehow further
with Format.WKT support for GeometryCollection.

I've been spending some time 3 week ago on this
and produced some tickets and patches:

 [1] http://trac.openlayers.org/ticket/2705
 [2] http://trac.openlayers.org/ticket/2706
 [3] http://trac.openlayers.org/ticket/2707

WKT read, write and tests have problems.

write is broken, and ticket [3] provides
a patch for it.

testcase is also broken in that it fails to
test the current .read, duplicates write(array)
and lacks test for .write(geom). Again, ticket
[3] contains a patch for that.

Finally, 'read' is not really broken as it does
what's documented to do (return an array) but
would be nice to extend to also allow returning
a proper GeometryCollection.

I'm available to work on a patch for .read as well
but would like to see the other two patches acted
upon first, considering also that another, older,
ticket exists approaching the GC/WKT issue:

 [4] http://trac.openlayers.org/ticket/2240

Note that the patch in [4] also modifies .read
breaking backward compatibility, which I've been
warned to avoid.

So, are there chances to see the .write and testcase
patches reviewed/committed ? Should I go on with .read
reguardless of patch in [4] ?

--strk;