[OpenLayers-Dev] Rendering Layer Server-side to Improve the Performance of Vector Layer in IE

Andreas Hocevar ahocevar at opengeo.org
Mon Mar 29 10:32:58 EDT 2010

On 2010-03-29 00:01 , hi_goodgrace wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am rendering a vector layers using >100 line shapes. It works
> perfectly in Google Chrome, however, in IE 7 it always causes a hangup.
>
> I know it may be a typical problem in the performance of openlayers
> vector layer, and I also got a little clue about solving this problem
> ,see http://openlayers.org/pipermail/users/2009-September/014009.html
> , but it is too general about rendering layer server-side for a newbie
> like me. Could anybody help offer more details about it ?

Try e.g. GeoServer or MapServer. Both support WMS, and then you can
request your data as image using OpenLayers.Layer.WMS. If you even need
more performance, you can use a tile cache. GeoServer comes with
GeoWebCache included, and MapServer works fine with TileCache.

Regards,
Andreas.

--
Andreas Hocevar