[OpenLayers-Dev] Re: [OpenLayers 3] code sprint summary, and request for comments

Andreas Hocevar ahocevar at opengeo.org
Mon Oct 4 05:35:25 EDT 2010

Hi,

On Oct 4, 2010, at 10:38 , Bouiaw wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 8:47 AM, Eric Lemoine
> <eric.lemoine at camptocamp.com> wrote:
>>> Any feedback about these 2 behaviours applyed to OpenLayers 3 ?
>>> Do you think free zoom mode based on client image scaling could make
>>> sense in OpenLayers ? Is there some technical blocking points ?
>>

>> Do you know OpenLayers' fractionalZoom implementation? (I'm sure you
>> do.) Do you have any issue with this implementation, making you
>> contemplating other implementations? I rmyself really should go ahead
>> a study the fractionalZoom implementation...
>>

> Yes, fractionalZoom could be a good starting point. What I don't know
> is if it is usable if the user do live zooming (anyway, it is easy to
> check) because this could imply some tricky performance optimisation.
> This is a point where Flash and HTML/JS rendering are very differents
> I think.

fractionalZoom is not about live zooming, it is just for requesting tiles for resolutions that are not in the resolutions array. Obviously, this will not work with fixed tilesets.

In my previous comment, I mentioned relative positioning of tiles and resizing the grid for live zooming and resolutions that are not available in the tileset. This way, resizing of images is handled natively by the browser (pure css) with no js interaction on the tile positions and sizes involved.

Regards,
Andreas.

--
Andreas Hocevar