[OpenLayers-Dev] Suddenly I have a streetview icon (and function) when I add a google maps

Andreas Hocevar ahocevar at opengeo.org
Mon Oct 11 07:47:07 EDT 2010

Hi,

no need to do a new release, as Google seems to have reverted to the old behavior (no streetview icon) again.

In my opinion, with things like this happening, it is time to think about the relationship between OpenLayers and commercial map providers.

I see two options (the 1st is the preferred one):

1. Make commercial map providers (Google) aware of the use case of using their maps in a third party framework (OpenLayers) that has everything to consume the tiles directly. It would also be a wind for them (no need to respond to bugs that come from this use case). Note that this seems to be possible already for Bing tiles.

2. Make Google provide a versioned API, like they did for GMaps 2.

In either case, we would need someone with close ties to Google to promote the idea and make it happen. We could also create tickets against GMap2 v3, but we would then need many people to star the tickets to make Google aware of the need to tackle them.

Any ideas? Anyone from Google reading here? Or anyone with a hot wire to Google?

Andreas.

On Oct 11, 2010, at 13:22 , christopher.schmidt at nokia.com wrote:

> Okay, so we need to kick out a 2.10.1 to fix this? (Bleh, chasing google.
> I hate that.)
>
> Having this broken in our current release pretty much sucks.
>
> (If there's general agreement, I'll do a more formal motion; my plan would be
> to just pull up this one change to the branch and release it.)
>
> -- Chris
>
> On Oct 11, 2010, at 2:03 AM, ext Pierre Giraud wrote:
>
>> Thanks to Andreas this one has already been fixed. http://trac.osgeo.org/openlayers/ticket/2868
>>
>> Regards,
>> Pierre
>>

>> On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 3:50 AM, <christopher.schmidt at nokia.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Oct 10, 2010, at 9:47 PM, ext Phil Scadden wrote:
>>

>>> With 2.10, if I add google map layers to my maps, I suddenly have
>>> streetview icon (the man) on top of my zoompan control. I can drag to
>>> map position and get streetview. How do I turn this off? (using v3 google).
>>
>> Best bet is "ask Google". We didn't change anything -- this is a recent change
>> in the Google Maps API of some sort.
>>
>> If (general) you find out how, opening a trac ticket is probably the best way to
>> go.
>>
>> In the short term, using GMaps v2 + sphericalMercator: true may be a reasonable
>> workaround.
>>
>> -- Chris
>>
>>> Notice: This email and any attachments are confidential. If received in error please destroy and immediately notify us. Do not copy or disclose the contents.

>> --
>> Pierre GIRAUD
>> Géomaticien, Analyste
>>
>> Camptocamp France SAS