[OpenLayers-Dev] how to view saved feature?

Steven Ottens steven at minst.net
Fri Oct 22 14:54:33 EDT 2010

Hi,

From the series of e-mails I gather that you try to draw something in openlayers and then save that drawing to be able to use it somewhere else. Also I've got the feeling that you are not familiar with WFS and/or openlayers. However your e-mails are very short and don't provide a lot of context so I could be wrong.

To answer your questions: yes many people have succeeded to use openlayers with WFS http://dev.openlayers.org/releases/OpenLayers-2.10/examples/wfs-protocol-transactions.html being the obvious example. You need a WFS server to be able to save features and they are stored on the WFS server, commonly in a database. Once it is stored in the database you can use it in any application which can connect with the database (eg. qgis, udig). If you want to create a shapefile out of it, you most likely need to export the data from the database to shapefile, either with tools from the database (pgsql2shp) or another application (eg qgis).

In general you probably want to read up on WFS, Geoserver and previous emails on the openlayers-list on WFS. Also you might want to do more research before sending single line emails to a mailing list :)

good luck

Steven