[OpenLayers-Dev] Abusing OpenLayers for a non-geo application: plausible?

Hendrik Fuß hendrik.fuss at gmail.com
Fri Sep 24 05:31:48 EDT 2010

Hi folks,

I'm sorry if you receive this as a duplicate post -- I've had some
problems subscribing to the list, so I'm not sure whether my initial
post got through or not.

I'd be interested in your opinions on the following: I am planning to
develop a web application that is not exactly about geographical data,
but on a technical level has a lot in common with OpenLayers, so I'm
wondering whether I could 'abuse' OpenLayers for the task.

The application is essentially about sharing and markup of large,
microscopic images. It allow users to upload such images for others to
view. Viewers should be able to zoom and pan through the image, mark
objects and create vector drawings on top of the image, then save
everything for others to view or download the vector data to
specialized microscopic software.

With all the UI control, support for tiled images and markup,
OpenLayers looks very tempting to me, but I haven't had any exposure
to the development side. So I was wondering what you think, does this
sound feasible? What problems would you anticipate?

many thanks
Hendrik