[OpenLayers-Dev] Abusing OpenLayers for a non-geo application: plausible?

Adrià Mercader amercader.dev at gmail.com
Mon Sep 27 06:26:51 EDT 2010

Hi Hendrick,

Sean's answer covers all the main aspects you may face using OL with
non-geo images. I would only add that gdal2tiles [1] makes extremely
easy to build tiled pyramids for large images and their corresponding
OpenLayers based viewers, like this one:

http://amercader.net/books.html

You may give it a look a see if it can help you.

Cheers,

Adrià

[1] http://www.klokan.cz/projects/gdal2tiles/

Sean a

On 24 September 2010 10:31, Hendrik Fuß <hendrik.fuss at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I'm sorry if you receive this as a duplicate post -- I've had some
> problems subscribing to the list, so I'm not sure whether my initial
> post got through or not.
>
> I'd be interested in your opinions on the following: I am planning to
> develop a web application that is not exactly about geographical data,
> but on a technical level has a lot in common with OpenLayers, so I'm
> wondering whether I could 'abuse' OpenLayers for the task.
>
> The application is essentially about sharing and markup of large,
> microscopic images. It allow users to upload such images for others to
> view. Viewers should be able to zoom and pan through the image, mark
> objects and create vector drawings on top of the image, then save
> everything for others to view or download the vector data to
> specialized microscopic software.
>
> With all the UI control, support for tiled images and markup,
> OpenLayers looks very tempting to me, but I haven't had any exposure
> to the development side. So I was wondering what you think, does this
> sound feasible? What problems would you anticipate?
>
> many thanks
> Hendrik

Adrià Mercader