[OpenLayers-Dev] SVG2 and 2.11

Andreas Hocevar ahocevar at opengeo.org
Thu Apr 7 17:13:02 EDT 2011

Hey Tim,

I don't have links available, but the parts of the discussion that I recall are probably the ones you are asking for. See answers inline.

On Apr 7, 2011, at 20:27 , Tim Schaub wrote:

> I've read through the ticket above, and I see a mention of "workarounds that we needed for older browsers" - but nothing really specific.

The only workaround that's really gone is the limitation of the allowed coordinate range, with all the weird feature clipping and unrendered / incompletely rendered feature handling.

> Where does the SVG2 renderer not work (and where does is work)?

It works everywhere I have tested it (recent Chrome and Safari versions, iOS, Firefox 3. It may not work in Firefox 2.x.

> What benefits does the SVG2 renderer bring (I'm not doubting them here, just giving an opportunity to trumpet them)?

Features are not re-rendered on zoom level changes (performance boost!), and are immediately visible when they pan into view.

> Having answers to these two questions would allow us to decide whether this needs to be named SVG2 or if it could take the SVG name.  Again, I might have (or likely did) miss discussion on the list about this.  I see that a decision was made on the ticket, and I'm not necessarily suggesting we revisit that decision.  I think the information would be useful for the release notes if nothing else.

Personally I'd love to have SVG2 as default SVG renderer, but since we haven't done so long enough before the release so we can get testing feedback from users, I'd say it would not be wise to do the switch for 2.11.

Having said that, I think adding the information we have now to the release notes makes sense.

> http://trac.osgeo.org/openlayers/wiki/Release/2.11/Notes

If you think that the information I provided above is enough please let me know, and I'll add it to the release notes.

Andreas.

> Thanks,
> Tim
>
> --