[OpenLayers-Dev] OpenLayers API doc

Eric Lemoine eric.lemoine at camptocamp.com
Tue Aug 9 03:45:02 EDT 2011

Hi

Some of us among the OpenLayers devs have been contemplating the idea
of offering a better API documentation for OpenLayers. With this email
I'd like to gather comments, opinions, and ideas regarding the current
API documentation, and what we should do to improve it.

I've been looking at JsDoc lately. (Yes, I know we moved from JsDoc to
NaturalDocs 4 years ago! [1]) Using JsDoc annotations would provide us
with two things: (1) generate a nice API documentation using JsDoc
Toolkit [2], and (2) fully benefit from the Google Closure compiler
(code optimization, type checking, warnings, etc) [3]. What I also
find interesting about JsDoc is that it is a standard for annotating
JavaScript code; other tools, like dox [4], support it.

Any comment or experience is welcome! Thank you.

[1] <http://osgeo-org.1803224.n2.nabble.com/finally-fed-up-with-jsdoc-td1833145.html>
[2] <http://code.google.com/p/jsdoc-toolkit/>
[3] <http://code.google.com/closure/compiler/docs/js-for-compiler.html>
[4] <https://github.com/visionmedia/dox>

PS: I'm interested to work on that at the FOSS4G code sprint.

--
Eric Lemoine

Camptocamp France SAS
Savoie Technolac, BP 352