[OpenLayers-Dev] Rico deprecation

Eric Lemoine eric.lemoine at camptocamp.com
Wed Dec 7 01:16:10 EST 2011

Hi

So we currently use Rico for the following:

- LayerSwitcher
- AnchoredBubble

For the LayerSwitcher corners are rounded if the roundedCorners option is
set to true, which is the default.

<https://github.com/openlayers/openlayers/pull/37> suggests removing Rico
entirely.

I fully agree with the general idea. But here's the deprecation plan I'm
proposing:

- The AnchoredBubble popup doesn't make sense if Rico is no longer there to
round its corners. And rounding a popup's corners should be done using CSS
by the application developer. So I'd suggest that we deprecate
AnchoredBubble entirely. For 2.12 we can just mark it as deprecated in the
API docs, and make its constructor display a deprecation warning. After
2.12 we can move it to deprecated.js.

- Leave the Rico lib where it currently is for now, and move it to
deprecated.js after 2.12 is released.

- For LayerSwitcher we remove the `@include
Rico.js` statement, mark the roundedCorners option as deprecated in the API
docs, change its default value to false, and make the constructor display a
deprecation message if roundedCorners is true. With 2.12 users would need
to explicitely include Rico.js to have rounded corners for their layer
switchers. After 2.12 they would need to include deprecated.js (where the
Rico lib will be).

What do you think?

--
Eric Lemoine