[OpenLayers-Dev] click & pinch overhaul

Cédric MOULLET cedric.moullet at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 17:08:07 EST 2011

Hi Tim,
It's really a great function, and so fast !!!
I put two answers inline,
Cédric

On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 8:48 AM, Tim Schaub <tschaub at opengeo.org> wrote:

> Thanks for the report Cédric.  Comments below.
>

> On 3/7/11 10:49 AM, Cédric MOULLET wrote:
>
>> Hi Tim,
>>
>> Thanks for these improvements. I have tested on several plattforms (see
>>
>> https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AjTbLQNm01pfdEtUc0FkVm9DYnBtMTNkcWpTemw3T0E&authkey=CJGm_vQF&hl=fr#gid=0
>> <
>> https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AjTbLQNm01pfdEtUc0FkVm9DYnBtMTNkcWpTemw3T0E&authkey=CJGm_vQF&hl=fr#gid=0
>> >).
>> I face the same issues like Steven. In addition, I have observed the
>> following things:
>> - iTouch 3.1.3: Pinch Zoom Dragging -> it moves the browser instead of
>> the map and makes the function ineffective
>>

> I also saw the same on an iTouch before upgrading.  But I'm pretty sure I
> saw it on the trunk (instead of just on this sandbox).  Are you seeing the
> issue in this sandbox and not on the trunk?  (I've only got access to an
> upgraded iTouch, and pinch zooming works there.)

I have tested on your sandbox: Here is a small video that presents the
issue: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VoVKeOy9dg&feature=player_embedded(sorry
for the quality, but I'm not Spielberg). I can observe that the pinch
function is working, but the browser window moves. I don't observe that on
the iPad 4.2. If it's an iOS version issue, I don't think it's so important.

>  - Android Nexus S: the double click seems to work a bit better, but has
>> still issues. No idea why (but this is a very empirical observation)
>>

> Sounds like the 10 pixel tolerance for double clicks may not be enough.
>
> I'd be curious what you see for pixel displacement on typical double-tap
> sequences (on a touch device).
>
> http://dev.openlayers.org/sandbox/tschaub/click/examples/dpx.html

I have added an average and standard deviation function:
http://dev.openlayers.org/sandbox/cmoullet/openlayers/examples/dpx.html

iTouch 3.1.3: pair: 30 - avg: 4.2 - std: 3.1
iPad 4.2: pair 30 - avg 6.7 - std: 2.5
Android Nexus S: pair 30 - avg: 8.3 - std: 4.5

These are of course very empirical results, but it seems that I'm less
precise on an Android nexus S. So the tolerance should be a bit bigger.