[OpenLayers-Dev] License question

Timothy Astle timothy.astle at caris.com
Tue Mar 15 15:07:27 EDT 2011

Hi all,

I have a license question.  I have a little API that I have and I'm
planning on open sourcing it.  OpenLayers is a part of the foundation.
Is there any harm in providing a hyperlink from my site to the
OpenLayers site or referring to the fact that it is built on OpenLayers?

I noticed this in the license: "Neither the name of OpenLayers nor the
names of its contributors may be used to endorse or promote products
derived from this software without specific prior written permission."
(http://svn.openlayers.org/trunk/openlayers/license.txt)

Basically, it's similar to what MapQuery(http://gitorious.org/mapquery)
and GeoExt(http://www.geoext.org/) are already doing on their sites.

Thoughts?