[OpenLayers-Dev] WebGL / WebGL Earth

Andreas Hocevar ahocevar at opengeo.org
Wed Nov 2 10:09:07 EDT 2011

Hi,

we are in contact with Petr from WebGL Earth and have plans to make many components (like the Format classes) in OpenLayers easier to use from outside OpenLayers, and work on an integration story of WebGL Earth as output target for OpenLayers content. As a consequence of this, it will at some point be possible to have the same layers rendered in OpenLayers and WebGL Earth in the same application. From a UI perspective, this will allow mapping applications to switch between 2D and 3D view, similar to what e.g. GeoExplorer does already with the Goolge Earth plugin [1].

Andreas.

[1] http://suite.opengeo.org/geoexplorer/composer

On Nov 2, 2011, at 14:40 , mortac8 wrote:

> Are there any plans for use of WebGL in a future version of OpenLayer to
> provide a 3D visualization option?  Thanks!
>
> For example:
> [1] http://www.webglearth.com
> [2]
> http://groups.google.com/group/webglearth/browse_thread/thread/93e9e6ce463e2e50