[OpenLayers-Dev] v3 branch on GitHub for deprecation & API changes

Schuyler Erle schuyler at nocat.net
Thu Nov 3 14:39:09 EDT 2011

+1. What needs to be done to get started?
SDE

--
Sent from my mobile. Please excuse my brevity.

Tom MacWright <tom at macwright.org> wrote:

Hi all,

I've been submitting a few patch requests to the GitHub repository for OpenLayers, and would like to start removing deprecated features and simplifying some APIs - possibly also rebuilding the build system. However, the current GitHub master is targeting a 2.12 and thus needs to keep API stability. I think that we're long overdue for an API-breaking branch so that legacy code can be removed - stuff like MouseToolbar, which has been deprecated for four years, and Google Gears, which Google itself discontinued last year.

This would basically constitute starting a v3 branch and starting to fill a changelog of things that are removed. Hopefully the ability to have a fresh start in some areas and a lighter complete library with more focus will also bring in some new contributor energy.

Tom MacWright