[OpenLayers-Dev] v3 branch on GitHub for deprecation & API changes

Eric Lemoine eric.lemoine at camptocamp.com
Fri Nov 4 04:19:48 EDT 2011

On Thursday, November 3, 2011, Tom MacWright <tom at macwright.org> wrote:
> Hi all,
> I've been submitting a few patch requests to the GitHub repository for
OpenLayers, and would like to start removing deprecated features and
simplifying some APIs - possibly also rebuilding the build system. However,
the current GitHub master is targeting a 2.12 and thus needs to keep API
stability. I think that we're long overdue for an API-breaking branch so
that legacy code can be removed - stuff like MouseToolbar, which has been
deprecated for four years, and Google Gears, which Google itself
discontinued last year.
> This would basically constitute starting a v3 branch and starting to fill
a changelog of things that are removed. Hopefully the ability to have a
fresh start in some areas and a lighter complete library with more focus
will also bring in some new contributor energy.
> Tom MacWright

I'm +1 on starting a v3 branch, focusing on removing deprecated code, and
improving APIs. fredj's "no-deprecated" branch [*] could be our starting
point, if fredj agrees with that.

[*] https://github.com/fredj/openlayers/tree/no-deprecated

--
Eric Lemoine