[OpenLayers-Dev] v3 branch on GitHub for deprecation & API changes

Eric Lemoine eric.lemoine at camptocamp.com
Fri Nov 4 10:04:19 EDT 2011

On Friday, November 4, 2011, Andreas Hocevar <ahocevar at opengeo.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> a lot of work has been done this year to make the library faster and
smaller. All this is basically work that was originally planned for the 3.0
version, but was implemented without breaking the API.

Yes, non API breaking changes can continue landing in master. A v3 branch
would be for changing APIs (removing deprecated objects is part of that).

> In my opinion, for a new major version, the main goal is to create a
slick API. I am also in favor of making components like the Format classes
conveniently usable outside the context of an OpenLayers map (e.g. to
support 3D mapping projects like WebGL Earth), as well as making OpenLayers
geometry functions an optional component that can entirely be replaced e.g.
by JSTS, similar to what we now do with projections and proj4js.

> Once we have the slick API, a compatibility layer can be created to make
upgrading easier. Ideally, the new API should be created during a code
sprint. Looking together at a whiteboard and designing the new API on it is
much easier with everybody focussed and in the same room.

> Removing deprecated code is a low hanging fruit and could already be done
now in a development branch. But instead of merely removing code, I'd be in
favor of an approach that moves deprecated functions/methods to separate
files, so that they can still be included in a build.

Do you see this work happening in the master branch, or in a v3 branch?

Here's my opinion:

We're talking about new APIs, but are we talking about major renovations,
or a few tweaks here and there? It's not clear to me what people have in
mind, what people will be able to do, etc. Creating a v3 branch and having
people send pull requests would make things more concrete. We will see
where this leads us to, and if we need compatibility layers, etc.

Thanks,