[OpenLayers-Dev] Re: v3 branch on GitHub for deprecation & API changes

Tom MacWright tom at macwright.org
Fri Nov 4 13:18:56 EDT 2011

Hey all,

A compatibility layer that lets people treat a v3 like a v2 is something
that those people should build: I don't think that it should be a high
priority for core developers. People have had five years of stated API
stability: I think that's excessive and severely handicaps the ability to
iterate. If people want to stay with a v2 API, there can be backports of
bugfixes, but I really think that forcing better APIs to act like older
ones is not a good focus.

That said, I'm not in favor of a code sprint being the only way to
collaborate, though that may be a personal preference towards 'just doing
it' and collaborating over GitHub - and that this is a relatively
worldwide-dispersed team. For that matter, collaboration on Modest Maps and
Leaflet has included basically zero facetime between committers and has
gone well just in issues on GitHub. Maybe there's some other factor that
requires more structuring here, but unless there is, I think a more nimble
approach to a v3 could be a good thing.

Tom