[OpenLayers-Dev] v3 branch on GitHub for deprecation & API changes

Peter Robins openlayers at peterrobins.co.uk
Sat Nov 5 06:51:35 EDT 2011

On 4 November 2011 21:47, Eric Lemoine <eric.lemoine at camptocamp.com> wrote:
> think it would be a shame to loose that momentum, I'd rather see these
> guys (and possibly others) join effort in v3 branch. Today's situation
> may also be different because our main development branch (master) is
> now also on github, so maintaining a v3 branch (i.e. sync'ing it from
> the main development branch) is a lot easier than before.

ISTM if you're serious about developing v3, then v3 should be the
"main development branch". Work on v2 should stop - a feature freeze.
I thought this was agreed last year. I fully understand Andreas's
point about the lack of core-developer time, but surely trying to
maintain 2 separate branches will make things worse not better.

I'm currently planning on rewriting one of my systems, and if a v3 is
in the offing would prefer to base it on that now rather than base it
on v2 and then have to rewrite later for v3. Because of this, I would
be happy to contribute to v3 in some way to help speed it up, but at
the moment it isn't clear to me how. I'm unlikely to be able to attend
any code sprints, and not sure I'd be much use if I did. I can easily
remove deprecated code, or ui-related code (perhaps that would be
better moved to another repository), but I don't want to spend time on
that and then find someone else has already done it. I could spend
time on examples or documentation, but documenting what exactly? In
short, I suppose what I'm looking for is a list of objectives, a list
of which tasks are needed for those objectives, and who is working on
those tasks. Then I can decide which tasks I can best contribute to,
and add myself to the list.