[OpenLayers-Dev] move deprecated code

Tim Schaub tschaub at opengeo.org
Tue Nov 8 19:07:32 EST 2011

I think we've implicitly assumed that deprecated code cannot be
removed until we have a new major release.  Following this, I think it
makes sense to move the deprecated code out of the main lib - but keep
it around for people that might want/need it.

So this would mean having a deprecated.js (or more) that people could
include in their builds.  We would exclude it from the full build, and
anybody that has a build profile with a limited set of includes would
automatically avoid it.  Moving the code and the tests together makes
sense to me.

https://github.com/openlayers/openlayers/pull/43

If others agree with this strategy, I think we should rip through all
the stuff that is explicitly marked deprecated.  After that, we can
start bringing up stuff that should be marked deprecated.

All of this, in my opinion, is different than a discussion about a 3.0 release.

Tim

--
Tim Schaub
OpenGeo http://opengeo.org/