[OpenLayers-Dev] issue tracker (Was: The SVN repository is outdated after moving trunck to GitHub)

Tim Schaub tschaub at opengeo.org
Wed Oct 12 19:03:22 EDT 2011

Andreas and I have been evaluating the GitHub issue tracker (as I know
others have as well).  While using it, we're still opening Trac
tickets.

For example, here's an issue related to improving dateline handling
for vector features:

In Trac http://trac.osgeo.org/openlayers/ticket/3526

And GitHub https://github.com/openlayers/openlayers/pull/11 (with
history https://github.com/openlayers/openlayers/pull/11/commits and a
summary diff https://github.com/openlayers/openlayers/pull/11/commits).

The benefits of the GitHub tracker are plain to me (but I've been sold
for a couple years).  There's not any inline commenting going on here,
but it's a feature we use frequently elsewhere.  I'll let the Trac
stalwarts extol its virtues.

Tim

On Fri, Oct 7, 2011 at 6:07 AM, Eric Lemoine
<eric.lemoine at camptocamp.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 6, 2011 at 9:18 PM,  <christopher.schmidt at nokia.com> wrote:
>> The SVN repository being out of date is because there are bugs in
>> git-svn that break everything. Figuring out a fix for this is still
>> soemthing I'm working on; I have a couple other tools that I'm trying
>> to get started with, but it is not being as trivial as it's supposed
>> to be. (ahocevar also offered me some advice as to how to get git to
>> do what I want.)
>>
>> In the end, the problem we are trying to solve is not so hard that I can't
>> hack it with my own code if we have to get there; I know that it's
>> annoying, and I do want to fix it, I just haven't had a chance to yet.
>>
>> Regarding reporting tickets -- that is something I will let other people
>> comment on. I don't have any specific views.
>

> At this point, and until we have decided otherwise, I think trac
> tickets should be created. Pull requests, referenced in tickets with
> URLs, can replace patches attached to tickets though.
>
> --
> Eric Lemoine
>
> Camptocamp France SAS
> Savoie Technolac, BP 352