[OpenLayers-Dev] Google Maps API Terms of Use changes

Martin Reckziegel hier-bei-mir at gmx.net
Mon Apr 23 11:11:35 EDT 2012

Hello,

Am 23.04.2012 14:31, schrieb Helge Fahrnberger:
> Last week Google updated their TOS in a way that could affect OpenLayers:
>
>     "This update clarifies that you are not permitted to use or
>     provide any content provided by the Maps API in an API that you
>     offer to others, even if your implementation provides substantial
>     additional features or content."
>     See
>     http://googlegeodevelopers.blogspot.com/2012/04/update-to-google-maps-api-deprecation.html
>

> This kills the Google layers, doesn't it? It is probably a direct
> reaction for all large websites flocking to OSM, OL and Leaflet as a
> result of the end of the free Google Maps API.
it would be very sad, if this would be the case.
But the blogpost is abit confusing. The Section 10.2 (a) (ii) of the
actual terms and conditions (https://developers.google.com/maps/terms)
state:
"...For clarity, you are NOT 're-implementing or duplicating' Google
Maps/Google Earth if your Maps API Implementation provides substantial
additional features or content beyond Google Maps/Google Earth, and
those additional features or content constitute the primary defining
characteristic of your Maps API Implementation."

So the main question in my opinion is, wether Openlayers is related to
10.2 (a) (i) and if not, if the example in 10.2 (a) (ii) for not
reimplementing is related to Openlayers.
Does anybody know a link to the text of the Google T&C before this april
20 update?

kind regards
Martin