[OpenLayers-Dev] Sprint Planning

Tim Schaub tschaub at opengeo.org
Fri Apr 27 14:34:03 EDT 2012

Based on conversations at FOSS4G-NA and elsewhere, we've decided to
organize a development sprint in France the week of June 18.

The focus of this sprint will be to lay the framework for an OpenLayers 3
release.  In particular, we'll be focussed on a design that allows for a
WebGL renderer (for vector and raster layers).  This design should allow
for fallback renderers using the Canvas 2D context or a SVG/VML and Image
combo as we have now.

In addition, an important focus of our work will be to incorporate lessons
learned from the history of the 2.x series, improving the library's ease of
use and simplifying its API.

We welcome ideas on the design for the next major version of OpenLayers.
In the upcoming weeks we'll be discussing sprint logistics, so additional
details are forthcoming.

My aim is to build on the terrific success of OpenLayers, advancing the
library so it will serve as a solid foundation for mapping applications for
years to come.

Tim