[OpenLayers-Dev] Catch-22 with a polygon handler on 180 line - what does "citeCompliant" actually mean?

Phil Scadden p.scadden at gns.cri.nz
Tue Feb 7 19:42:27 EST 2012

This is fun (not). If I create a polygon handler with handlerOptions of
citeCompliant:false, then it will happily create a polygon that spans
the 180. On the other hand, the geometry it returns will not intersect
with any features on east side of 180 from a WFS because the coordinates
exceed the maxEast value. On the other hand, if citeCompliant is true,
then it will generate geom which works for a  WFS query - but then you
cant draw a line over the 180. citeCompliant sets wrapDateLine for the
handler but what else does it do? What does it actually mean?

It looks like I need to post-process the geometry from the polygon
before using it in the filter anyway. For starters, most wfs servers
need the query split on the 180 line into two  and combined with an OR
(grrrr!).