[OpenLayers-Dev] preliminary UTFGrid support in OpenLayers

Matt Perry perrygeo at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 17:26:26 EST 2012

On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 2:01 PM, Phil Scadden <p.scadden at gns.cri.nz> wrote:

>> Hey all - I'm excited
> So am I! this looks like fantastic work Matt. I can see plenty of use
> for this. What is not so clear is what the backend that serves the data
> looks like. Is the UTFGrid generated by Tilemill?

Mapnik is really the only viable option for rendering them at this
point. You can do this through tilemill/tilestream or using
tilestache.

The examples are running off of static json files (hence the lack of
zoom controls) but they were generated by TileStache (via Mapnik).
[http://tilestache.org/doc/TileStache.Goodies.Providers.MapnikGrid.html]

Tilemill also generates the UTFGrid tiles via Mapnik and stuffs them
into a .mbtiles sqlite database which can be served by TileStream.

--
"The best way to predict the future is to invent it."  -- Alan Kay