[OpenLayers-Dev] Deepzoom formatted tiles

smartinmedia info at smartinmedia.com
Tue Oct 2 09:43:55 PDT 2012

Hi all!

I have the following problem:
I would like to put microscopic images (e. g. 60,000 x 60,000 px) online and
have chosen openlayers over seadragon as the client software because of its
great possibilities to do annotations, etc.

However, I am using libvips to create static tiles (e. g. 100,000
tiles/image) in the deepzoom format, which is beautifully supported and runs
extremely fast.

Unfortunately, I cannot get openlayers to recognize this format (it has 1 px
image in folder 0, then increases in size until e. g. folder 6 starts with
256x256 tiles). Also, the tiles are sometimes not full 256x256, when they
represent pieces of the image at the border.

I googled a lot before posting here, but could not come up with a solution.
Can someone help?

Thanks

Martin