[OpenLayers-Users] Displaying a static map

Xiaopeng Xiong xpxiong at purdue.edu
Mon Dec 4 20:43:31 EST 2006

Hello List,

I am new to the Openlayers, so please forgive me if my question is too
simple for you.

I want to embed a map into my html page. The requirements are as follows.

1. The map shows the rough boundary of United States.
2. The map has to be static and it will not zoom-in/out or move by dragging,
it is just like a static image. No control pan is needed.
3. When the user selects a rectangluar range, the corresponding
longitude/latitude of the range will be shown.

I started from the provided live demo at
http://www.openlayers.org/dev/examples/lonlatfrompx.html
and I created a map without any control by using
    var map = new OpenLayers.Map('map', { controls: [] });

However, I have no idea on how to initialize the map to a specific area
(e.g., around United States). Currently it displays the map of the whole
world.

I will appreciate any help. Thank you.

Best regards,
Xiaopeng