[OpenLayers-Users] Fast WMS base layers

Jon Blower jdb at mail.nerc-essc.ac.uk
Thu Dec 7 11:08:50 EST 2006

Hi Christopher,

Thanks very much, that's brilliant.  I think the problems with the
OpenLayers basic WMS were intermittent or possibly local to me -
either way they have gone away now:

http://lovejoy.nerc-essc.ac.uk:8080/ncWMS/godiva2.html

Cheers, Jon

On 07/12/06, Christopher Schmidt <crschmidt at metacarta.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 07, 2006 at 01:34:51PM +0000, Jon Blower wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > We have created a prototype OpenLayers-based site for marine data
> > visualization (http://lovejoy.nerc-essc.ac.uk:8080/ncWMS/godiva2.html).
> >  Currently the site suffers from slow loading of the base layers (NASA
> > Global Mosaic and the OpenLayers WMS).  Does anyone know of faster WMS
> > servers that might serve decent global base layers, or perhaps someone
> > has set up a TileCache interface to these servers?
>
> Hm, I'd be surprised by the OpenLayers basic WMS being slow -- tiles are
> typically generated in < .2s, which is typically fast enough to not
> incur a penalty.
>
> In any case, the TileCache instance behind
> http://labs.metacarta.com/wms-c/demo.html has both a Blue Marble layer
> and a vmap0 layer, which you can feel free to use.
>
> However, we don't have access to landsat data at the moment (NASA
> blocked our server due to too many hits: the blue marble stuff is served
> graciously by Telascience), so we can't TileCache the landsat data.
>
> You should be able to set up your own local TileCache instance with this
> data in it on your server: setting it up should be as simple as copying
> the OpenLayers URL into a tilecache.cfg and changing the location of the
> URL.
>
> If you need more help with that, please feel free to respond, and we can
> work it out in more details.
>
> Regards,
> --
> Christopher Schmidt
> MetaCarta

Dr Jon Blower              Tel: +44 118 378 5213 (direct line)
Technical Director         Tel: +44 118 378 8741 (ESSC)
Reading e-Science Centre   Fax: +44 118 378 6413
ESSC                       Email: jdb at mail.nerc-essc.ac.uk
University of Reading
3 Earley Gate
Reading RG6 6AL, UK