[OpenLayers-Users] OpenLayers with Rico and Prototype

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Thu Dec 7 18:49:36 EST 2006

On Thu, Dec 07, 2006 at 03:38:25PM -0800, Jim Freeby wrote:
Jim --

> As of version 2.2, OpenLayers cannot be used with Rico and Prototype on the same page.  The object "Rico" is declared in both rico.js and OpenLayer's Rico\Corner.js.

An unintentional mistake. I've filed a ticket (#441) with a patch for
this.

> Additionally, there are issues related to the function "unloadCache" found in both OpenLayers\Events.js and prototype.js, where the code attempts to remove event listeners twice, resulting in null pointer exceptions.

I actually just ran into this for the first time today, and added a
patch to prevent it from happening (#440), which was committed earlier
today, so this particular problem should be gone from Subversion soon.

> Are there plans to update OpenLayers so that it can be used with Rico/Prototype?
>
> For the short term, I made customizations to OpenLayers\Events.js and Rico\Corner.js to avoid the above conflicts.

If you'd like to, you can add information about those changes to tickets
441 and 440 respectively, so that we can ensure we look at them and make
sure that your solution matches the one that we've gone with.

Thanks for the feedback, and sorry for the trouble: We simply don't have
the time to test everything, and this slipped through the cracks when it
shouldn't have.

Christopher Schmidt
MetaCarta