[OpenLayers-Users] Displaying moving symbols on a map?

Okeefe, Charlie (Mission Systems) Charlie.Okeefe at ngc.com
Thu Dec 14 14:33:42 EST 2006

Hello all, I'm interested in using OpenLayers for a project, and the
basic requirement is fairly straightforward - an interactive world map
running in a web browser showing moving symbols whose locations are
given and updated by an outside service.

I'm fairly new to a lot of the terminology involved here - from what I
have read thus far, it looks like I might want to do this with a WFS
server - each symbol we want to show becomes a "feature" that can move
when the service "updates" it.

Am I on the right track here? Is OpenLayers a good tool for this? If it
is, I'm interested in learning how to set up such an application.
Otherwise any suggestions on a better tool for the job would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks!

Charlie