[OpenLayers-Users] Dragging markers?

Erik Uzureau euzuro at gmail.com
Tue Oct 24 12:07:44 EDT 2006

For the record, dragging markers *onto* the map would not be particularly
difficult.

Off the top of my head, the way you would go about this is:

- make a map, add a baselayer and a markers layer

- in your application code, you can create markers on your own and place
them
    where you wish on your toolbar.

- You will then have to write your own little drag-n-drop handler to allow
the user
    to click and drag a marker anywhere on the screen. (not *too* tough)
     - You should be sure to set some sort of global (or tagged to your
OpenLayers.Map
       object) flag that indicates that a marker is being dragged.

- You then register an "onmouseup" even on your OpenLayers.Map.events, and
   in that function you:
     - check to make sure the marker-dragging flag is set
     - get the current mousepx
     - translate that mousepx into lonlat
     - add the marker to your markers layer at that given lonlat.

Note that I haven't *tried* the above code, but off the top of my head, I
don't see why
this shouldn't work.

If anyone wants to put together a demo that does this, it would be awesome.

Erik