[OpenLayers-Users] How to handle events

Alan Underwood alan.underwood at hotmail.co.uk
Wed Oct 25 12:13:47 EDT 2006

I was wondering
(=desperately hoping) that someone might be able to describe how the
event handling is supposed to be used in the openlayers code. I am
trying to write my own control for creating layers and markers and, as
you would expect, it needs to use a lot of event handling. I've looked
at the LayerSwitcher control which sometimes uses Events.register on
the map object and sometimes uses Event.observe and I looked at
PanZoomBar which uses Events.register on both the map object and on
some Events objects it defines itself. I got quite confused. When is
Events.register supposed to be used rather that Event.observe and
vice-versa.Any guidance?Alan