[OpenLayers-Users] two newbie questions

Chris Holmes cholmes at openplans.org
Thu Oct 26 11:14:44 EDT 2006

> 2. I noticed mentions of a vector graphics layer for openlayers. A
> project called dojo recently added vector graphic support in the 0.4
> release, plus a local data store cache, and documentation tools (both of
> which I also saw mentioned in your Trac logs). So I was wondering if the
> openlayers team had seen or considered the dojo library?

Wow, I was just going to ask this as well.  Have recently been in touch
with some of the dojo people, specifically the http://openrecord.org
people.  We were chatting about integrating GIS functionality in to it -
they have a number of ways to display data through charts, and on a map
would make a lot of sense.  OpenLayers is an obvious choice for that as
both are pure javascript.

Their vector support looks quite nice:

 > The new Dojo 0.4 release includes a dojo.gfx 2D vector
 > graphics library, which renders natively to browsers as SVG or VML
 > (which means it supports both Firefox and IE, as well as others).
 > Having the new dojo.gfx library should make it fairly easy to write a
 > tool that would let a user draw lines and shapes on top of a map, and
 > then pan and  zoom those drawings whenever the user pans and zooms the
 > map itself.
 >
 > Here's a simple dojo.gfx demo where you can click on the some circles
 > and drag them around:
 >   http://archive.dojotoolkit.org/nightly/demos/gfx/circles.html
 > And here's one with a clock where you can click on the hands and drag
 > them around:
 >   http://archive.dojotoolkit.org/nightly/demos/gfx/clock.html
 > Which means it should be possible, given some effort, to make more
 > sophisticated drawing tools, like this one:
 >   http://www.mxgraph.com/demo/mxgraph-web/web/mxWorkflow-Demo.html

best regards,

Chris