[OpenLayers-Users] wfs-t not working in IE ?

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Sun Apr 1 08:30:22 EDT 2007

On Sat, Mar 31, 2007 at 10:17:32PM -0700, Louvy Joseph wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I can get the wfs-t.html example work fine in firefox against my
> geoserver but it fails in IE.  The status bar at the bottom on IE 7 says
> "Error on page". When I click it, it shows error on vague line number
> saying "Object does not support this property or method". Line number
> does not seem to match where the actual error is found.
>
> Is there a known issue with IE & wfs-t insert transaction? How do I
> debug javascript in IE?

"# Internet Explorer does not have a built in XML Serializer, so it can
not save WFS-T payloads to a server via the 'commit' method on a WFS
layer."
  --  http://trac.openlayers.org/wiki/Release/2.4/Notes

"IE has no built in XML Serializer. The
OpenLayers.Ajax.serializeXMLToString function will fail in IE. We should
choose a library which has an XML Serializer with namespace support in
it and allow users to use it with IE to add serialize support."

 -- http://trac.openlayers.org/ticket/535

I spent several hours looking for an XML Serializer for IE, and couldn't
find one. It's possible I missed something. If you have one loaded, the
function to modify is OpenLayers.Ajax.serializeXMLToString -- it should
accept an XML DOM object, and return a string. If you can make this
happen on IE, there are no other known problems with the WFS-T in
Internet Explorer.

Christopher Schmidt
MetaCarta