[OpenLayers-Users] Problem with zoomexents and google maps la yer

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Mon Jul 16 16:14:40 EDT 2007

On Mon, Jul 16, 2007 at 02:39:32PM -0500, John Cole wrote:
> It is my experience that when you zoom to a bounding box, you should be able
> to see the entirety of whatever is in the bounding box :-)  For example, if
> you zoom to either California or Tennessee, you should see the entire state,
> which is what happens on our site.

> shows that the OL viewport extent overlaps the requested extent, instead of
> containing it.  Using a standard WMS layer instead of the google layer,
> Stephen's test returns true, so I suspect that the issue is only in the
> google layer.

Right, I missed this the first time around. I have a feeling that the
problem here is the same as all problems with the Google layer --
OpenLayers assumes that it is unprojected, when in reality, it is
projected. This only works so well. I'd say this can be filed as a bug
against OL2.5, though it's possible my resolution of the ticket will
simply be "Switch to the new GoogleMercator Layer" once that gets into
trunk.

-- Chris